divorce360.com provides help, advice and community for people
contemplating, going through or recovering from divorce and the issues around it,
including separation, divorce laws, spousal support and emotional issues.


Find divorce professionals in your area

Find lawyers
Find financial professionals
Find coaches
You can search for Answers by tag here:

Invite Others
Invite friends and family to join you on d360! - Click here
where do I start
Our checklists are a great place to start. Or, get a quick review of your state's divorce laws with our Legal Cheat Sheet.
  Posted to group - Legal Answers    <<Previous    Next>>

What to do when "soon to be ex spouse" won't sign papers to sell house?

Since filing for divorce, my "soon to be ex spouse" has made life miserable for the kids and I. He refuses to help pay for any household bills ( kids and I live in house) in addition to the mortgage payment. Unfortunately, my income doesn't stack up to his.The mortgage company will accept reduced payments for the next 3 months. We have quite a bit of equity.. he'd be foolish to let the house go into foreclosure. Unfortunately, he refuses to sign any papers to refinance or sell the house. The lawyers, realtor and I are frustrated... is there anything else that can be done in a divorce situation?

by KN3   1 Post 
Posted on 5/14/2012 7:39 PM
Get AlertsGet Alerts!
Sent to Friendsend to friend
Nebraska legal questions on divorce360.com


Answers for "What to do when "soon to be ex spouse" won't sign papers to sell house?"  (9) (You must be logged in to answer)

Hey if you relationship with your boyfriend or husband or wife is at its breaking point and you still in love and can let go because they are all you need my advice to you is to contact Meto Acamu. He is a very powerful witch doctor that can help you. He basically help repair life problem of any sort use this to contact him metodoacamufortressx@yahoo.com testimony about how he helped a whole lot of people are ever were on the internet
by Luarenfisher   3 Posts
Posted on 3/18/2015 4:26 PM

i will like to let every know that there is a true and real spell caster out there and he has helped me in so many way just a few days since i came in contact with him through the help of my good friend who introduced me to him. he did a love spell for me and assured me that after 2days, my ex husband will return to me and to my greatest surprise the 2day my ex came knocking at my door begging for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again. Once again thank you dr.tamazaki, You are truly a great man wow this man has brought back the joy in my life that was stolen and now i live a better and sound life. he bring back my divorce husband home with his love spell, when i lost my husband.he is true to his word and he is here in the world to help mankind. he is the realest of all spell caster online. he is LORD dr.tamazaki. you can get him via email: dr.tamazaki@gmail.com and i swear a trial will convince you and you will be a happy with you lover again call him +2348185277879
by chandel   108 Posts
Posted on 1/25/2015 8:46 AM

what a wonderful world we are living, istill doubt this spirit man how he didit!!!My mouth is full of testimony, i amTammy Holmes  my husband left home for twoyears to work in another place for atourist,he meant a prostitute and he wasbewitch by the girl my husband refuse tocome back home again, i cry day andnight looking for who to help me, i read anews paper about a powerful spell castercalled DR Razaak and I contacted the spell caster to help meget my husband back to me and he ask menot to worry about it that the gods wefight for me.. he told me by mid-nightwhen all the spirit is at rest he will cast aspell to re-unite my lover back to me. andhe did in less than 3 days my husbandcame back to me and started crying thati should forgive him, i am so happy forwhat this spell caster did for me and myhusband. you can contact him on his EMAIL:doctorrazaakspell@hotmail.com
by tammyholmes   29 Posts
Posted on 11/10/2014 7:32 PM

The judge in my case ordered me to pay the mortgage and for her to stay in the house with her cats (no kids). The judge also ordered the house to be sold. But the ex would not cooperate with the realtor. She wanted to continue living rent-free in the house. It took three years to get the house sold.
by RustBelt   20 Posts
Posted on 8/20/2014 2:06 PM

You've said your atty is frustrated, but you don't say what your atty has done to correct this situation. If there haven't been any temporary orders, WHY NOT? That is what you pay the atty for! 

So, yeah, get moving, get rid of said atty if he/she hasn't done anything to get you some financial relief, and go after the jerk for not supporting his kids. 

And that is how you should look at it. He's not doing this to YOU (even though that IS how he looks at it), he's doing this to the kids. And now it's time for him to act like an adult instead of a spoiled child who is throwing a temper tantrum. 


Zen Hugs
by worried2tears   2316 Posts
Posted on 5/15/2012 10:35 AM

I've seen the scenario Mike's related happen with others - it's not pretty. Or nice. Or fair. It is legal, though, unless you get those temporary orders to get it stopped. An attorney is well worth the fee you'll pay her/him to get it done.


I've also seen it backfire, horribly, when a galpal's STBX was headed down that road, then ended up in jail and lost his job - his "house money" ended up being spent on fines and attorneys, and they lost their home in the process.


We're here for you.

by NotJulieG   3302 Posts
Posted on 5/15/2012 10:16 AM

Let me clarify that foreclosure rules vary by state, and that I'm not a lawyer or a loan expert.

My point was though, that letting the bank actually take the house would be foolish of him, but "letting the house go into foreclosure" is a not uncommon tactic. 

Foreclosure takes a long time--typically a year or more.  When the house is foreclosed upon, that is when the clock starts.  During that time, the bank does not have to accept partial payments but it will accept a total repayment of the loan (obviously) and in most cases must accept repayment of all of the arrears.

So, by not paying the mortgage or any other bills, he is putting pressure on you.  By saving up his income, he will be able to save the house from foreclosure later.  Meanwhile he is depleting your finances, making it hard for you to pay your lawyer, etc.

Get the temporary orders, ASAP.
by mike1493   3673 Posts
Posted on 5/15/2012 9:16 AM

You need to file for temporary support orders if you haven't already.  Along with a temporary restraining order that keeps both of you from "squandering marital assets."  And when you can get him in front of a judge, you need the court to order him to either make the payments or agree to sell the house.  Or both.

He does have rights here.  He doesn't have to sell, but he will be ordered to either allow the sale or buy you out eventually.

One tactic I have seen used, by people in your stbx's position, is to allow the house to go into foreclosure as a negotiating strategy.  He is draining your resources while saving money on his side.  Then later when you've given up on the house he swoops in and saves it from foreclosure for himself.

Even if he doesn't get the house in the end, his tactic of saving his own money and forcing you to spend yours works for him in the short run.  You need to get court orders asap to keep afloat financially.

If this goes past the 3 months, just keep sending in those reduced payments.  The bank can't foreclose until 90 days after they start refusing partial payments.
by mike1493   3673 Posts
Posted on 5/15/2012 8:55 AM

He refuses.  Do you put the papers in front of him?  I would think the lawyer would know how to proceed in this matter.
by haboo   1045 Posts
Posted on 5/14/2012 10:51 PM

Divorce360.com is not a substitute for advice from a lawyer, accountant, financial planner, therapist or other professional to obtain advice. Divorce360.com is not intended to, and should not, take the place of professional advice. The opinions expressed in the divorce360.com message boards are those of the author and the author alone. Divorce360.com does not endorse any specific product or service.

divorce Community::
popular blogs
get/give answers
If I switch jobs do I still need to keep my spouse on my medical benefits?
So my soon to be ex spouse is currently on my medical/dental/vision plans which...Read Answers/share yours 

expert Q&As
Faith Therapy : Does a Separation Work?
My Husband and I Are Having Trouble. Is It a Good Idea for Us to Separate?...read more 

Stress Relief: Tips to Help after Separation
Mental Health: Overwhelmed by Changes in Household Routine. What Should I do?...read more 

About Law: Do Divorce Kits Work?
Legal: What You Should Consider When You Think About Divorcing Using a Kit...read more 

expand information center
divorce360.com's ecards
divorce focused content ::
divorce most popular ::
1. Eager To Check Those Texts?
Think your Spouse is Cheating? Professionals Can Check Text Messages

2. They Won't Leave? Now What?
You Want a Divorce, but Your Spouse Won’t Leave. Here’s How to Get 'em out

3. 8 Things No One Ever Tells You about Divorce
Number Three May Surprise You

4. When Is a Marriage Worth Saving?
10 Things to Think About When Considering Whether to Stick with a Relationship

5. The Signs Of A Controlling Spouse
If Your Spouse Is Doing This, They Are Controlling