Community  :: christina-rowe's Stuff  :: christina-rowe's Blog

Protect Yourself And Prepare For A Divorce

Last night we were under a tornado watch here in South Florida. Having moved to Florida from NJ last summer, I have never had to prepare for a possible tornado before. The watch turned into a warning several times during the night, forcing my kids, two dogs, and four cats and I to cram under the stairs in the laundry room. A small tornado did touch down about 20 minutes from us, but luckily no one was hurt and there was minimal damage.

I was shocked to hear today that most of my neighbors had slept through
the whole thing. The people I spoke with did not prepare or take any precautions, even though they knew a tornado was a possibility. Had that tornado been larger and hit our neighborhood, they would have been caught off guard.

I see this kind of lack of preparation from the divorcing women I coach often.
Although the warning signs are there, they do not adequately prepare for a divorce.It is only after they discover that their husband is hiding assets or lying about how much income he earns, do they realize they made a mistake by not making copies of all of the financial records while they had the chance.

Do not be caught in the storm of divorce. You must prepare. Many people say
they did not see the divorce coming, but usually there are tell tale signs. Trust your intuition.You need to be able to protect yourself and your children financially in the event of a divorce.

Make copies now, before it is too late. Here is what you need to gather:

Make copies of your spouse’s pay stubs for the past eight weeks.

Make copies of your joint tax returns for the past five years.

Copy all bank statements and documentation of stock accounts, IRAs, and pension plans.

Make copies of all of your monthly bills over the past three months. These should include mortgage statements, rent payments, utility bills, car payments, insurance premiums, children’s expenses, medical expenses, and credit card statements.

Copy deeds to any properties owned jointly or in your spouse’s name.

Copy documents relating to any investments. These should include stocks, bonds, real estate, and any corporations or businesses owned in any part by you and your spouse.

Make a list of all collectibles, jewelry and other valuables. Photograph or videotape these items. Also list all furnishings and take pictures of these as well.

Discover how to secure your financial outcome during a divorce...

by Christina-Rowe  298 Posts

Posted on 2/14/2008 12:15 AM

Tags: divorce advice , divorce advice for women , divorce for women , divorce help ,
divorce information , prepare for divorce
<< Previous Post  |  Blog posts by Christina-Rowe  |  Next Post >>

Comments for "Protect Yourself And Prepare For A Divorce"  (6) (You must be logged in to answer)

Thanks, Christina! You are right!
I will be moving to FL as well (hopefully, very soon). Had seen some tornadoes in my life, as well as neighbours that slept through!
by Kitana   9 Posts
Posted on 4/29/2008 11:37 PM

Thanks for the tip Christina! My husband and I separated 3 weeks ago, and so he went on a trip to vent with his family. He is coming back tomorrow, and I just discovered that he opened a new bank account to pay for his trip-related expenses (and who knows what else). I have being up the whole night making copies of all our financial records, but still I do not know how to prepare for this fight. This situation is really frustrating.
by Jusme   2 Posts
Posted on 4/27/2008 5:43 AM

This is great advice and stuff I did not know, thanks Christina you are a godsend.
by ark   6 Posts
Posted on 2/20/2008 11:03 PM

I am so glad you took action and gathered your financial documents. Your husband also has a right to the documents and his attorney will request during the discovery process that you share them, if he does not have his own copies already.

His attorney can file a motion in court and ask that the checking and savings accounts be frozen.This may or may not be granted, depending on the reason for the request. Since you withdrew the cash before you were legally served with divorce papers, you probably did not dissipate assets. However the money you took will be accounted for and you will most likely owe him half.

I am not a lawyer, so make sure to go over this with a divorce attorney and tell him or her about the cash you withdrew.

Good luck and stay strong!

by Christina-Rowe   298 Posts
Posted on 2/18/2008 12:19 AM

Thanks Christina!  You have made my day with this advice.  I have been in charge of all of these documents for our 2 businesses and our personal assets for 10 years.  Today I put all of them in storage because he is at the attorneys.  I was also told at the victims advocate center to get all of the cash into my own account before he does it (which I did).  Today he is at his attorneys getting ready to serve me I am sure.  My question is at what point will I have to give up these documents and can the attorney freeze my checking?  Any free advice is much appreciated.  Thanks!
by amazinggrace   3 Posts
Posted on 2/16/2008 7:25 PM

great info!  i tell my friends who are thinking about divorce to do all of this all the time.  i can't believe how many people wait until they are in the middle of the divorce war to think about getting organized.  this is good advice.
by Mary   179 Posts
Posted on 2/15/2008 10:29 AM

1. Could They Be Cheating?
11 Signs You Can Look Out For Today